Wednesday, October 8, 2008

the radical scaling back of one's expectations

I was in the grocery store a couple of days ago, and was trying to purchase less and get more out of the whole experience. I went ahead and splurged on a very expensive (okay, comparatively speaking) Honeycrisp apple. It was exceptionally good. I'm not kidding around, this apple restored my faith in agriculture, median voters, and the American economic system. I kind of now want to tell everyone who's all tied up in knots over the current world situation: go eat a really good apple, and really concentrate* on it while you are eating it. This little Zen sort of moment will do you a world of good.



* by concentrate on it, I mean really think about everything that has to do with this apple. Hold it in your hand, look at it, think about how it grew, and how you ended up getting it, and feel the heft and weight of it, then eat it slowly and think about the texture and the taste. Okay, fine, make fun of me -- I'll go sign up for an OCD support group now.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I would add the following:

Experience your apple on a day on which you also avoid the internet and TV.

Unknown said...

Davis asked me to post this for him...being as he is only 2 and all...from one of his favorite Disney animated short films, Johnny Appleseed

The Lord is good to me
and so I thank the Lord
for giving me
the things I need
the sun and rain and the apple tree,
the Lord is good to me!

Have an apple-icious day!
Amy

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I only eat apples this time of year (and only weird WV varieties if I can) and they are excellent this year, and I'm not in a particular state of panic about the world, and maybe it does go together. Thanks.

 
Creative Commons License
A Microscopic Cog in a Catastrophic Plan by Laura Lorson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at witheringexhaustion.blogspot.com.